Locke's Distillery Museum

Cooley distillery located in Co Louth is not open to the public for tours however tour facilities exist at the Locke's Distillery Museum in Kilbeggan Co. Westmeath where Cooley whiskeys are stored and matured at the old distillery warehouses.
Storage of Barrels at Kilbeggan
Cooley Whiskey Barrels at the Locke's Distillery Warehouses Kilbeggan
Origins
Locke's Distillery established in 1757 is believed to be the oldest licensed distillery in the world. The three natural raw materials required for distillation were readily available. A ready supply of turf from the bogs, locally grown grain and the pure water from the Brusna River. The water from the Brusna river is said to contain minerals from the limestone catchment area and the bogs which added a distinctive flavour to the whiskey. In addition a branch of the Grand Canal extended into Kilbeggan with the proximity of railway stations situated at Horseleap, Tullamore and Clara, provided ideal supply and distribution points.
Lockes Distillery Kilbeggan
Locke's Distillery on the river Brusna
The Distillery at Kilbeggan
Towards the end of the century the distillery was owned by Mathias McManus father of John McManus. John McManus was a colonel of the United Irishmen in Kilbeggan, he was executed in Mullingar during the 1798 Rebellion. The first John Locke took over the distillery in 1843. The distillery remained in the Locke family for three generations. In the third generation of Lock owners John Edward Locke and James Harvey Locke reorganised the company and totally modernised distillery during the 1870s to the mid 1920s. When they died the distillery was inherited by John Locke's two daughters Florence Eccles and Mary Hope Johnston, nicknamed "Flo" and "Sweet" as directors and main shareholders until the distillery ceased production in 1954 and closed in 1957.
Working at Locke's
The Locke's were considered good employers, many of the houses in the town are distillery houses which the workers rented or gradually bought out. The distillery owners also provided an area of grassland behind the distillery known as the "Cow and Calf" park. Here they allowed workers who did not have their own land to graze a cow and her calf during the day for the sum of £5.00 per year. Other benefits included the delivery of a full load of coal to the workers homes at the beginning winter, payment was then deducted from their wages during the coming year.

Cooperage
The cooperage where repairs were undertaken on Barrels
In 1866 the boiler at the distillery blew up and the owners of the distillery did not have enough cash at the time to replace it. John Locke was in despair as the boiler was an essential part of the distillery. Knowing of his plight and due to being held in such high regard the people of Kilbeggan presented him with a new boiler. A plaque commemorating the event from the people of the town dated 1866 hangs in the reception area of the restaurant at the distillery.
Display of Old Kilbeggan Whiskeys
On Display a selection of Locke's whiskeys
before the demise of the Distillery
The demise of Locke's Distillery
Unlike other distilleries which adopted to new techniques, Locke's were proud to use the same methods as had been used for generations, a stance also adopted by many other distilling companies throughout Ireland. High taxes and market forces along with economic depression reduced the demand for whiskey in Ireland during the 1920s and 30s.
The American market was also closed during this period due to prohibition from 1920-1933 when it was illegal to sell alcohol in America. During this time some illegal whiskey or "Bootleg" of poor quality was sold in America under the Locke's label even though it had not come from Ireland. After prohibition Locke's were unsuccessful in their export attempts to America as during prohibition the Bootleggers had given Locke's whiskey a bad name.
History has shown that the Irish distillers also made the mistake of regarding blended whiskey produced by the Scotch distillers as an inferior product. This cheaper method of production and the "lighter" taste of these blended whiskeys however developed a following in both the British and American markets. During the second world war. American soldiers developed a taste for these blends which they brought back with them on their return from the war. Millstones
Millstones used for the preparation of the grain
Once again the Irish pot still distillers were handicapped by their reluctance to change to these new methods of production resulting in further decline of the Irish Whiskey industry. The general picture of whiskey distilling in Ireland over the last 100 years is a sad one of steady decline. The number of distilleries in Ireland decreased from 26 in 1924 to only 5 in 1937 Until recently when Cooley Distillery was opened in the mid 1980s only two other distilleries remained in production, the Old Bushmills Distillery in county Antrim and the Midleton Distillery in Co. Cork both owned by the Irish distillers Group.

The Museum
Production in Kilbeggan at Locke's distillery continued until 1954. In 1957 the distillery finally closed down and began to fall into disrepair. Most of what remains in Locke's Distillery Museum today is how the building looked and operated during the 19th century. Locke's Distillery Museum
The museum is run today by a management committee of twelve people, representing the community of Kilbeggan. The onerous task of restoring the old buildings was commenced in 1982, 25 years after the distillery had finally shut its doors.
The restoration is ongoing as finance permits and has been helped by assistance from many organisations. The FAS (the Irish Government Training Program) has been essential and beneficial to the project along with the Heritage Council, LEADER, the Westmeath County Enterprise Board, ERDF, Irish American Fund an to the many thousands of visitors who have supported the project.

The Museum is open to visitors at the following times
April to October 9am-6pm daily
November to March 10am-4pm daily
Groups are asked to please book in advance.
For further details contact
Locke's Distillery Museum
Kilbeggan,
County Westmeath,
Ireland
Telephone & Fax from Ireland 0506 32134
Telephone & Fax International +353-506-32134
Locks Distillery Museum
Bushmills Cooley Locke's Jameson Midleton

About History Distilleries Making Whiskeys Feedback
Contact Guestbook Shop Fun stuff Trade page Home Page